Three batch cooking recipes to save time, money and food waste
This is the form of pie that cold times are created for,” claims Suzanne Mulholland, AKA The Batch Lady.
“Easy to prep and a cinch to assemble from frozen if you get organised and make the filling forward, I like to maintain a batch of this in the freezer, completely ready for comfort foodstuff emergencies.”
Chicken and mushroom humble pie
1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
115g frozen chopped onions
4 skinless, boneless hen thighs, minimize into bite-sized items
300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp basic flour
240ml chicken inventory
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 sheet pre-rolled puff pastry
1 egg, crushed
Salt and freshly floor black pepper
1. Warmth the oil in a big, deep-sided frying pan around a medium warmth, then increase the onions and chicken parts and cook dinner, stirring, right until the onions are delicate and the rooster is sealed. Insert the sliced mushrooms to the pan and stir to blend with the hen and onions, then prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, for five to seven minutes right until the hen is cooked via and the mushrooms have produced all their water.
2. Add the flour to the pan and stir to coat the rooster and vegetables, then pour in the rooster inventory and stir very well. Slowly and gradually pour in the milk, stirring and thickening the sauce as you do, then provide the mixture to the boil, lessen the heat to low and depart to prepare dinner for 10-15 minutes, until thickened, then stir by way of the mustard and period very well with salt and pepper. Get rid of from the heat and established aside.
If you are cooking now: Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Pour the pie filling into a huge, ovenproof baking dish lesser than the sheet of pastry, then lay the pastry above the top rated of the filling and tuck in the edges. Brush the leading of the pie with the overwhelmed egg, then transfer the pie to the oven for 30-35 minutes, until finally golden and effectively risen. Slice into generous wedges and serve warm with mash and veg together with, if you like.
If you are earning in advance to freeze: Depart the filling combination to great to place temperature, then ladle into a big, labelled freezer bag and freeze flat with the sheet of pastry along with for up to a few months.
Then… clear away the pie filling and pastry sheet from the freezer and go away to defrost in the fridge, preferably overnight. As soon as defrosted, preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gasoline mark 4 and assemble, cook and serve the pie in the exact same way described previously mentioned.
Sweet potato miso medley
“This delectable 1-pot meal can be prepped forward and prepared for the freezer in a make any difference of times,” says Mulholland.
“If you’re not acquainted with miso, really don’t be scared – it provides a tasty savoury edge to the dish that functions beautifully with the sweetness of the veggies.”
115g frozen chopped onions
2 tsp frozen chopped garlic
1 x 500g bag frozen sweet potato chunks
175g frozen sliced peppers
1 x 400g tin butter beans, drained
4 tsp miso paste
1 x 400g tin coconut milk
If you’re cooking now: Place all the substances in a large pan in excess of a medium warmth and stir to blend. Deliver to the boil, then minimize the warmth to a simmer and go away to cook, stirring once in a while, for 15 minutes, till the vegetables are tender. Spoon into serving bowls and serve incredibly hot.
If you are producing forward to freeze: Suggestion all the components into a significant, labelled freezer bag, then give the contents of the bag a light stir to blend. Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
Then… eliminate the bag from the freezer and depart to completely defrost in the fridge, preferably overnight. The moment defrosted, suggestion the medley into a substantial pan over a medium warmth and stir to merge. Carry to the boil, then lessen the heat to a simmer and leave to prepare dinner, stirring at times, for 15-20 minutes, right until the vegetables are tender. Spoon into serving bowls and provide incredibly hot.
Oreo peanut butter ice product cake
“This appears to be like so amazing and would make a wonderful dessert for a celebration or even a good substitute to a birthday cake, but is truly only an assembly occupation that will take minimal work to prep,” states Mulholland.
“If your spouse and children are not supporters of peanut butter, attempt chocolate hazelnut spread instead.”
1 x 154g packet Oreos
60g butter, melted, moreover added for greasing
200g chocolate digestive biscuits
80g smooth peanut butter, additionally a small excess to drizzle in excess of the top
1 x 900ml tub of vanilla ice product, softened
1. Grease an 18cm springform tin with butter and established apart.
2. Established apart three Oreos to use for decoration, then increase the relaxation to a large freezer bag together with the digestive biscuits and smash with a rolling pin to good crumb consistency. Transfer to a huge mixing bowl, include the melted butter and stir to mix. Tip the crumb mixture into the organized springform tin and press down into the base in an even layer. Transfer to the fridge to firm up though you get ready the topping.
3. Tip the ice cream into a mixing bowl (it must be gentle but not runny). Set the peanut butter in a independent little microwavable bowl and microwave for a couple seconds until eventually runny, then pour the peanut butter into the ice cream and conquer alongside one another with a wooden spoon right until merged.
4. Remove the foundation from the fridge and pour around the ice cream mixture, levelling it out in an even layer. Dot a tiny extra peanut butter above the floor, then use a knife or skewer to ripple via the ice cream.
5. Crush the remaining Oreos and sprinkle more than the major, then include the ice product cake with clingfilm and transfer to the freezer for at the very least 3 several hours to set.
If you are serving now: Once the ice product cake has totally established, get rid of from the freezer and depart to thaw a little for close to 10 minutes. Operate a knife all-around the within edge of the tin, then open the springform tin, lower the cake into wedges and provide.
Or, merely go away the cake in the freezer for up to three months. Then… get rid of the cake from the freezer and depart to thaw marginally for around 10 minutes. Run a knife close to the inside of edge of the tin, then open the springform tin, minimize the cake into wedges and serve.
Recipes from ‘The Batch Lady: Cooking On A Budget’ by Suzanne Mulholland (revealed by HQ, £22 photography by Haarala Hamilton).