Summer is here and the temperatures are gradually rising each day. Many of us dislike the idea of stepping outside our houses and having to bear the heat and humidity. We often feel extremely tired after spending even a few minutes in the sun. This is why it is important to stay hydrated and replenish our energy levels with natural drinks. From simple coconut water and masala chaas to flavoured milkshakes and juices, there are many options to choose from. We often use fruits to make summertime drinks because they add more freshness and flavour. You might have already tasted different types of watermelon coolers. But have you ever tried a muskmelon one? Kharbuja or muskmelon is actually a wonderful ingredient for cold drinks and milkshakes.
Also Read: Want An Easy Weight Loss Drink? Try This Delicious Cucumber Chaas Recipe
We recently came across a recipe for kharbuja sharbat on the YouTube channel, ‘Cook With Parul.’ This milk-based drink is super easy to prepare at home. The chef has added unique ingredients that make this cooler extra special. One of the best things about this sharbat is that it is not sweet, it also has a wonderfully thick consistency that may remind you of smoothies and falooda. Instead of any artificial additives, this cooler derives its flavour naturally from the goodness of muskmelon. Check out the recipe below.
How To Make Kharbuja Sharbat At Home | Easy Recipe For Muskmelon Cooler
What you need:
The base of this drink is fresh muskmelon pulp and milk. You also need to add a little custard powder. This ingredient is not essential, but helps thicken the sharbat. You also need condensed milk for the same reason. In place of it, you can use sugar to maintain the sweetness level. Small-sized sago pearls (sabudana) and sabja seeds are added to give the drink a lovely mouthfeel and also enhance its cooling properties. You can top the drink with chopped dry fruits and/or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Also Read: Nutritionist Busts Myths About 5 Common Foods That Seem Healthy, But Aren’t
How to prepare:
- Halve one muskmelon and remove the core along with the seeds. Scoop out the remaining fleshy pulp of the melon using a spoon. Blend the pulp (without water) to form a puree.
- In a pan, cook the mini sago pearls in water on high flame. Once they are almost transparent, switch off the heat, strain them and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the custard powder with a little water to form a thin mixture with no lumps.
- In a big pan or kadhai, heat milk over low to medium flame. Before it comes to a boil, add the custard powder mixture and stir continuously.
- Add in the condensed milk and mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust sweetness as required.
- Finally, add the muskmelon puree prepared earlier and stir well. Cook for around 2 more minutes and then transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Once the drink has cooled, add soaked sabja seeds as well as sago pearls from earlier. Mix well.
- Pour the drink into glasses and add toppings of choice.
For the exact ingredient quantities and steps, watch the full recipe video below
Also Read: Is Masala Thums Up The Best Indian Drink? Desi Twitter Approves
You can store this sharbat in the refrigerator for around 4 days. What a tasty way to beat the heat, isn’t it? Try it for yourself and see.
About Toshita SahniToshita is fuelled by wordplay, wanderlust, wonderment and Alliteration. When she is not blissfully contemplating her next meal, she enjoys reading novels and roaming around the city.