When you very first glimpse at this recipe, with a complete fruit in the middle of the pudding, it’s hard to feel it’s going to function. I thought precisely that when putting my British regional food items reserve collectively, in which this recipe starred. But the lemon serves two needs: it retains up the pudding though allowing the flavour to filter by means of the buttery sauce into the pastry as it cooks.
When you transform it out, the pudding collapses and a pond of delightful sweet lemony syrup flows out. Heaven. You will require a just one-litre pudding basin, some string and foil.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook dinner time: 4 several hours
4 to six
- 250g self-increasing flour, furthermore added for dusting
- 125g shredded beef suet or vegetable suet
- 150ml semi-skimmed or complete milk
- 200g unsalted butter, softened, in addition excess for greasing
- 200g gentle gentle-brown sugar
- 1 massive unwaxed lemon
1. Blend the flour and suet together in a bowl. Add the milk very little by minimal, mixing as you go, to sort a dough. The dough need to be soft but adequately business to roll out (on a frivolously floured area) into a circle about ½cm thick and massive more than enough to line the pudding basin.
2. Slice a quarter out of the circle, so that you can make a cone condition with the relaxation of the dough to healthy more effortlessly in the pudding basin. Established apart the dough slice you have taken off.
3. Butter the pudding basin very well and drop the pastry ‘circle’ into it, flattening it at the bottom and signing up for up the edges wherever the slice was taken out.
4. Combine the butter and sugar together and place this mixture into the lined basin.
5. Prick the lemon all above many situations with a skewer so that the juices can escape, then thrust it into the butter combination.
6. Remould the remaining pastry piece and roll it out into a circle to in good shape the top rated of the pudding basin. Lay it about the filling and push the edges of the dough alongside one another so that the filling is sealed in.
7. Slash a piece of foil massive enough to in good shape above the basin with at least a 5cm overhang. Make a pleat a pair of centimetres huge down the middle of the foil, put it above the top rated of the basin and fold the overhang above the edges, tying it in area with string spherical the lip, making a manage so it can be lifted in and out of a saucepan.
8. Deliver a large pan 50 percent-crammed with water to the boil and reduce in the pudding the water should appear midway up the sides of the basin. Protect and depart to simmer for 4 hrs. Really do not enable the drinking water prevent simmering, and if the amount drops, elevate up the basin and prime up the pan with much more boiling water. Alternatively you can do this in a stress cooker in 50 percent the time.
9. To provide, elevate out the basin, get rid of the foil and loosen the sides of the pudding with a compact sharp knife. Set a deep dish in excess of the basin and quickly flip the whole point upside down. The pudding must drop out. Serve with thick product.